The 2019 Icons Award
Join HYPE at the annual Icons Awards Show as we recognize young professionals for their early career success and companies killing it with YP culture. This party will bring YPs and executives from all around Richmond together to celebrate the finalists and honor the winners.
Registration is open March 4th-April 10th!
This year's event will feature keynote speaker, Yewande Austin and our host and comedian Micah "Bam-Bamm" White.
Yewande Austin is an artist, activist and ambassador who has worked worldwide to restore the voices of people silenced by poverty and oppression. As a classically trained vocalist and pianist, she’s performed with the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Sean Paul and India Arie. Her Global Institute for Diversity and Change is an international resource for diversity and inclusion programming, leadership training, integrated curriculum development, youth empowerment and social consciousness building. Through her Change Rocks Foundation, which produces socioeconomic empowerment programs through an innovative combination of education, capacity building and the arts, Yewande has trained over 250,000 vulnerable youth, college students and professionals in 16 countries from Africa and Europe to North and South America. She has been honored with a President’s Lifetime Achievement Award by President Barack Obama in 2017 and nominated as a CNN Hero in 2017, 2014 and 2013.
Micah "Bam-Bamm" White is the executive director of the Central Virginia African American Chamber of Commerce. Prior to his appointment, White operated RVA Has Talent, which showcases local aspiring entertainers. On the side, he has spent over 20 years in the entertainment industry as a stand-up comedian, host and philanthropist. Through his various efforts, White's mission is simple: to use comedy and entertainment to find common ground by bridging racial, religious, socioeconomic and generational gaps.
Address & Parking/Lyft:
- The Science Museum of Virginia
- The Icons is being held in the Dewey Gottwald Center (back of the SMV)
- Address for parking/entrance is: 2301 W Leigh St (please note this is the address to enter the SMV through the back Dewey Gottwald Center where registration will be...not the one that comes up when you google Science Museum)
- Parking is available in the SMV lot off of DMV drive for the event
- Thanks to our partners at Lyft, we are also able to offer registrants a discount code for the evening. Code is ICONSRVA. It is valid for 25% off 2 rides up to $5, to and from the Science Museum on Thursday. It can be applied by entering it on the "Promos" tab of the Lyft app!
Timing & Schedule of Events:
- 6:00 PM-Doors & registration open in the Dewey Gottwald Center
- 6:00-7:30-Happy Hour & Food in the Dewey Gottwald Center and on the patio
- 7:30-8:30-Program & Awards in the Dewey Gottwald Center
- 8:30-10:00 PM-After Party Reception in the Rotunda at the Science Museum
- You do not need a physical ticket for this event...if you register online we will have your nametag ready for you
- Corporate tables will all be identified via table signs in the Dewey Gottwald Center. If you are sitting at a corporate table you'll have a corresponding number on your nametag that you get at registration. If you are not sitting at a corporate table, no worries! There will be open seating tables that are first come first serve
- If you purchased a table and have not sent the first/last name and email address of the additional attendees please send them to email@example.com ASAP.
Dress Code + Weather:
- Weather looks great with 70 and some sun for Thursday, so dress accordingly as we'll also have the patio open for the early portion of the evening. Dress code is business casual but it's suggested you dress to impress within that category :)
Food & Drink:
- Thanks to our Beer & Wine Sponsor as well as all of our RVA partners we have an amazing lineup of drinks and food across the evening:
- Appetizers, self serve dinner, and late night snack stations + desserts will be provided by Groovin Gourmets
- Drink options: in addition to waters and soft drinks, we'lll have and open bar serving Ardent & Hardywood beer, Buskey Cider, Belle Isle Moonshine drinks, and Chateau Ste. Michelle wine
- Please note (and there will be plenty of reminders at the event itself!) that the bars & food stations will all be closed while the program is happeining between 7:30-8:30. We strongly suggest you eat before that window in the 6:00-7:30 timeframe and/or be seated with your food for program kickoff at 7:30
Lastly, there are still a small amount of tickets or tables available, and online registration will be open until Wednesday, April 10th end of business unless the event sells out first. If your colleagues/friends/neighbors don't have their tickets yet make sure they get them ASAP!